Monday, June 24, 2013

Cruisin': Days 0-1

Do you know how hard it was for me to keep it a secret that J and I were going on a cruise?! Okay. I didn't exactly keep it a total secret -- I think some of my Twitter followers knew -- but I didn't tell a lot of people on social media. I have a weird thing about not telling people until after we come back because I don't want people to break in and steal all our junk stuff.

Anyway.

J and I were running around like crazy the day before we left, trying to do all that last-minute stuff.

I got a very relaxing pedicure, courtesy of an end-of-school gift from a generous family at my school:

#sorrynotsorry if you don't like feet. It's my blog, so I get to show a picture of my feet if I want to.

I have not had very good experiences with pedicures in the past, so I was a little wary going into this one. But it turned out great!

We were scheduled to get our first-ever spray tan the day before we started our vacation, and I was a little nervous about it. I know that spray tans have come a long way in the last few years, but I do remember a few classmates in high school getting them before homecoming and Prom, and I reeeallly didn't want to look like this for our cruise:

Source
 We went in, so pale we were practically see-through:



It was...um, a unique experience. But I would definitely recommend Julie at Southlake Skin Care Studio to anyone; she did a great job!

We stopped at Wendy's for a bite to eat, and Jon picked up some napkins for the road:

For the record, it was JON that thought we'd be this messy -- not me! ;)

Hah.

I also loaded up my Kindle with books from the public library. I looooovveee being a member of a library that offers Kindle books!

We left on Saturday around 6:30 am. I tried to capture the pretty sunrise sky, but my pictures don't quite do it justice:



Don't worry: nothing was on fire! I don't know what that orange thing is...

I tried to snap a picture of my new tan, but it was dark out, so it's hard to see:



I had to snap pictures of everyone in the car...

Our backseat buddies:

For the record, I specifically asked M if I could put this on the blog, and she said she didn't care. ALSO for the record, she is making this face in approximately 80% of the pictures we took of her. 

Our fearless driver:


The dork in the front passenger seat:


We also snapped this picture; it shows our tans pretty well, I think:

I don't think I've ever seen Jon this dark.

Uggghhhh...what a long car trip! I read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and napped quite a bit.

We stopped a couple times and got caught up in a terrible traffic jam, so we rolled into our hotel's parking lot around 4:30-5:00 pm.

This hotel has served us pretty well in the last two times we've been in NOLA.

We took a nap, freshened up, and hiked to Bourbon Street, which was about a mile and a half away from our hotel. While Bourbon Street was just as, er, energetic as always, it actually wasn't as bad as last time. We thought our friends got to see a tamer side of Bourbon Street, but we were juuuussttt fine with that.

We finally settled on a restaurant for dinner, and J ordered a gigantic plate of crawfish. He and A worked on it for a couple of hours:






All trip. Sigh.

We hiked the 1.5 miles back to the hotel, and I think it's safe to say we all slept pretty well that night.
 
-----

Read about day 2.


Photobucket

0 love notes: