Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cruisin': Day 5

Catch up on your reading: Days 0-1 | Day 2 | Days 3-4

-----

Day 5 was Wednesday, and it was our first port of call: Jamaica. My family and I went on this very same cruise when I graduated high school, so I was the only one of us that had been to Jamaica before. I think that worked in my favor, because I was prepared for what I would see...

Jamaica is an interesting country. There is no way I would ever stray from a Carnival excursion there -- too dangerous. I'm sure the resort parts are a little nicer and safer, but I'm not even sure we'd want to go back for that...

Luckily, I had some foresight about this before we went, so we made sure to book an excursion in Jamaica {as opposed to wandering around by ourselves}.

We got off the boat and onto a bus, where we took a 45 minute ride.



At our destination, we were able to touch a de-barred stingray, see a "tame" shark, ride a camel, and swim with the dolphins. J and I didn't ride the camel because it cost $11 each. Rip-off. But I sho' did take this pic fo' free! Take that!


Dolphin kisses {which just felt like a big elbow poking you in the face}:





Swimming with the Dolphin:








When I pictured this in my head the day before, I thought we'd grab on to the top fin on the dolphin and just casually sail through the water. This was a little different, though. We had to tread water and wait for the dolphin to swim to us. It would pop up out of the water like it was treading water, too. It would wait until you grabbed onto it's two side fins, and then it would fall over backwards and swim on its back to the dock.

If you know me at all, you know that I am absolutely terrified of all things that can survive underwater {yup -- this includes seaweed. Freaks. Me. OUT}. So this was a huge deal for me to even get in the water, let alone let that slimy thing touch me!

We had to "stand" in a line with our hands out, and we could "pet" the dolphin as it swam by.
We weren't allowed to put on sunscreen prior to getting in the water because it hurts the dolphins' eyes, so this is where I acquired a nice lobster look around my hairline. I'm still suffering from that as I write this... it's peeling and making me look like some sort of dandruff-y leper.

It was hard to find pictures of me with the dolphin where I was making a normal face. I seem to have a "picture face"that is mildly embarrassing. I probably should go with it -- trademark that thing and own it. My eyes are really sensitive to light, so I have trouble keeping my eyes open in pictures, anyway. Throw some saltwater in my contacts and I make faces like this:


and this:


and this:


If you didn't catch my photo-shopped Instagram picture making fun of it on Monday night, here it is in all its glory:

This is how I vacation. Doofus face.™

 Now, listen, all you modeling agencies that are reading this: I already have a full-time job, so don't even think about calling me and offering me some multi-million dollar modeling job, mmkay?

Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

After the dolphin stuff, we took a bus ride to a nearby beach.


J was feeling a bit sick at this point, so we sat under an umbrella on the beach while M and A swam. I took the obligatory feet-at-the-beach shot for your viewing pleasure:


Poor Jon wasn't feeling well but managed a closed-lipped smile, anyway.
 And I got a super-cute picture of our friends swimming:


On the bus on the way back, we heard sirens and saw a bunch of ambulances and police cars. Our driver turned the bus around and headed the opposite direction like it was no big deal. It wasn't until later that we found out that there had been a shooting. Apparently, a bus driver ahead of us was shot in the head on route. So thankful that didn't happen on our bus!

-----

Read about day 6. 

Photobucket

0 love notes: