Sunday, December 16, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Turns out, I'm SO not good at keeping up with blogging during my first year of teaching a new subject at a new school in a new state.

But I'm not complaining. :)

I loooovveeee my job!! And J loovvveessss his new one, as well, so life is really good for us right now.

I've been in a reflective mood for the past few weeks, and I've been thinking about how far we've come in one year. At this time last year, we were SO worried about money, still living in that third-floor apartment with crazy and loud neighbors, and house hunting. J was in a job that he really liked, but the hours were stressful and work never seemed to be left at work. I was subbing (I job I didn't much like -- I won't lie) and tutoring while searching for my dream job and wondering if I would ever find it. While we were definitely still blessed at this time last year, I think about how our lives have been flipped-turned-upside-down {Fresh Prince style} since then, and I just want to take a moment to give all thanks to God for continually taking care of us.

...

Sorry for the sap. Moving on.

Last year, J and I snagged some Christmas decorations from Home Depot and such for some fabulous prices right after the holiday was over. J loves Christmas decorations, so he was pretty quick to set them up outside our {still new to us} house. We also got to borrow some decorations from J's parents, so we have a little nativity scene and some cute little bows and candy canes and things, too:







J decorated the mantel while I was working on lesson plans...sweet guy!
We wrestled with a camera and tripod to try to get our Christmas card picture for the year. Man, that is a lot harder than you'd think. In every picture, I could nitpick about something -- an eye wasn't open enough, my necklace was crooked, I thought I looked "SO fat," etc. We probably took 20 pictures total, and we managed to come up with a couple good ones. :) Here is one I like, taken in front of our Christmas tree:






My hair isn't holding up very well, since it had been curled approximately 8 hours earlier at this point, but I'd like you to notice that I am no longer a Hair Idiot. ;)

Anyway.

I got really interested in digital designs last year, and I vowed that I would make our Christmas card myself for 2012.

Much like my New Year's resolutions from 2011, I failed miserably at that. :)

I found a cute little shop on Etsy that was willing to make a personalized file for me on the cheap, so the following design is from Pink Pickle Studios and is our 2012 Christmas card:


{Click to enlarge}

I'm happy with the way it turned out -- cheap but cute: just the way I like things. :) I turned it into a postcard at Zazzle, but I goofed and didn't order enough. If you didn't receive one in the mail from us, consider this digital version our Christmas card to you this year.




0 love notes: