Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ms. Frizzle in the Hiz-ouse

I am so, so, SO excited about the newest change in our lives:  I got a new job!

Here's what my uncle said after he heard the news:


haha! Gotta love him. :)


Not teaching for the past year has helped me to see that education  is really where I'm supposed to be. You know, you never truly know how valuable something is until it's gone, and that's how my full-time teaching job was for me. I know I willingly gave up my last teaching position so that I could move here to be with Jon, but it never occurred to me that I may not get a teaching job again right away. Of course, everything happens for a reason, and I wouldn't change the way things worked out for the world. The past year was sometimes bumpy, as substituting wasn't always the easiest thing ever, but a wise man told me that a dream delayed is not a dream denied.... I learned a lot from the past year, but I'm happy to be moving on to something new. :)

I will be the K-4 science teacher at an elementary school less than half an hour away from our house. I am P-U-M-P-E-D! Out of all the dozens of elementary schools I've visited this year in my subbing adventures, this is, by far, my favorite one. The kids, staff, and admin are amazing... Seriously, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to teach there! Honest-to-Pete, I think it's the best school around...and now I'm teaching there?! Whaaa...?!

Source

I'm sure you're wondering what "K-4 science teacher" means; I know I was, when I went in for the job interview. hehe. :) At this district, elementary science class is sort-of similar to library, computer lab, or music: each kid in the school only visits my room once per week. I'll teach 4 classes per day and see a new grade each day. So, for instance, I might see 4 classes of kinder on Monday, 4 classes of firsties on Tuesday, etc. By the end of the week, I'll have seen all 500 of the kids in the school. I love the schedule, because it means I only plan and set up for one experiment per day and that every day is different -- never a dull moment! And I luv that I'm one of only a handful in the building that gets the pleasure of watching every single student grow throughout the year...that is going to be so fun!

I've already been combing teaching books for ideas about what to do for the coming year...and you can bet I've been web-hunting searching Pinterest for neat experiments for K-4. :) If you've got any ideas for fun science activities you remember from your elementary school days, be sure to leave them in the comments section below. :)



2 love notes:

Becki said...

I am SOOOO excited for you! You will be amazing! Your students and coworkers are so blessed to be learning and working with you.
Congratulations!

ashley said...

congrats on the new job candice! we are excited for you!!!