Saturday, December 31, 2011

Highlights: 2011

Last year, I wrote a Facebook note titled "Highlights of 2010." I listed 10 positive things that happened to me in 2010. I had a lot of comments on it, and one friend even thanked me for writing it, as all he'd heard about 2010 so far was a bunch of complaining! Anyway, it's always great to reflect and realize just how blessed you really are. So, without further ado, here are my highlights of 2011.

  1. I welcomed 2011 with Jon, one of my favorite people in the world. :) This was our third new year together, but our first as an engaged couple.
  2. I lived alone in a place 3 hours from my friends and family. I met some great friends while living there, and I love that I have proof that I am strong enough to be able to live alone and take care of myself independently.
  3. I successfully finished my first year of teaching. I got lots of compliments, some very sweet reference letters, and even an award. I'd say that first year of teaching was a success! *happy dance*
  4. I married my best friend on June 11....And I now get to live with said best friend! Are you kidding me? After 2.5 years of a long-distance relationship, living in the same house as J is like Christmas every day! (But don't tell him I said that.)
  5. Moving to Texas has been such a huge blessing. It's helped me with my patience (the traffic and some of the drivers will do that to ya), helped me to be more outgoing (I'm forced to talk to people I don't know on a daily basis) and forced me to understand that stepping out of your comfort zone doesn't always have to be a bad thing.
  6. Even though I didn't get a teaching job this year, God has helped me to make some wonderful contacts and blessed me with several substituting assignments in my target schools. I feel like He's working on landing me my dream job soon!
  7. Not teaching this year has forced me to think more creatively about how I earn money for our family. Opening a tutoring business has been a great experience, and I'm so glad that I was pushed to do it. I've also created some teaching materials for my online store, and earnings from those purchases have helped keep our family A-OK, financially. Every time I've wondered how we're going to pay the bills, God has stepped in. Seriously. New motto: "let go, and let God."
  8. Not teaching this year has given me an opportunity to get accustomed to my new home, practice my domestic skills, and focus on doing other things that I really love. I get to blog and read all day long (if I'm not subbing), I've been learning about couponing and budgeting, and I've gotten to make lots of crafts and decor items in my spare time. It's also allowed me to dabble in digital design and see if that's something that I would enjoy as a daily career. I think I'll focus on writing a book next year. :) I mean, really, the blessings have been endless.
  9. I've gotten a lot closer to God this year, I think. I'm still not really a church-goer, but He and I have daily talks that always make me feel better. I feel less stressed and more joyful when I talk to Him and realize His blessings.
  10. My friends and family are, overall, healthy, safe, and happy folks! What more could I ask for?
Hope your 2011 was as blessed as mine was. Here's to an awesome new year!

What are your 2011 highlights?

0 love notes: