Monday, November 7, 2011

Football and Earthquakes...oh, my!

Exciting things have been happening for J and me! Here's a run-down of what's been going on in our lives:

  • We're house shopping! Eeeekk! I'm so excited/nervous! We've toured houses once and been looking online. Our realtor is a doll, and we're going out again with her this coming Saturday. We don't have to close a deal until the end of April, so we have a pretty stress-free shopping period. I'm so excited to stop paying rent and start paying toward something we own! (Not to mention, I L-O-V-E decorating!!) ..This also means we've been watching a lot of HGTV and DIY channel. :)
  • I found this online application (called Jobulator) that syncs up to the online system schools in the area are using (Aesop). It sits on your desktop all day and alerts you the second a job is posted. They're working on an iPhone app, too, which is super-exciting! There is an annual fee, but it's already paid for itself -- within the first hour of purchasing, I landed 6 English Language Arts and Reading (ELAR) jobs in my dream district! Yippee!
  • I was given the opportunity to interview for a 6-week substituting position as an ELAR 8th grade teacher in my dream district. I interviewed last week and should know something by the end of this week. I don't feel that I did that well in the interview, but I'm trusting God that His Will will be done. The possibility of teaching a "regular" 8th grade ELAR and an AP 8th grade ELAR class is so exciting...not to mention, it's in my goal district!
  • Last Friday, when I was substituting in my dream district for a 5th grade ELAR class, I got THREE phone calls from teachers personally requesting that I sub for them that day. That has never happened, and I was already teaching in a great class that day, so I was grinning like the Cheshire cat. :)
Source

  • J and I were fortunate enough to be able to attend the OSU v. K-State match this past Saturday. It was certainly a nail-biter (I think my heart stopped approximately 3952035 times), but O-State came out on top. ...Because of our win and 'Bama's loss to LSU, O-State moved up to the #2 slot in the rankings. This has never happened my lifetime, and I'm SO excited to see OSU finally get some positive attention for football. SO neat!
Source
  •  When we visited my parents' house this weekend, we were hit with 2 big earthquakes. The first one occurred on Friday night/Saturday morning, about 2:15 am. I definitely felt it, although J slept right through it. It was such a crazy moment, and definitely unlike any other I've ever experienced. I'm a little embarrassed to say that my first thought was that there were demons in the room or that an exorcism was taking place (I blame the Halloween season for this!), but am relieved to say that it was just an earthquake. :) The one I felt was a 4.7, and it definitely shook the house! The other occurred while we were celebrating an O-State win in Stillwater, so I didn't get to feel it. I'm a little bummed that I didn't feel it, but I won't wish for a re-do! :) Reports are saying that the second earthquake was anywhere from a 5.2 to a 5.7, which is HUGE for Oklahoma. I'm still in shock that OK now boasts earthquakes AND tornadoes!
I'll leave you with a couple of short YouTube videos that made me laugh. This first one is of Kirk Herbstreit and his reaction to the earthquake in Stillwater. He was up much higher than J and I were (in the press boxes), so it makes sense that he felt the movement. Watch the very beginning of the video (his eyes bulge out when the earthquake hits), and then listen to his reaction when he finally gets to speak at the end:



And this video pretty much sums up the typical Okie reaction to the earthquake. Can't you just picture this poor feller saying something like this: "Hot diggity, Bessie! There's a danged ol' earthquake here in Okie-homa!" MAN, I wish that would've been caught on tape. But what he did catch was good enough, I suppose:



LOL. Have a good day!

0 love notes: