Thursday, June 16, 2011

Playing Catch-Up {Part 4}

Finally.....it was here. All the details had been finalized. (And there were SO many more than I first believed!) I made these door hangers and clothing hangers so we could get some cute, detailed pictures:




We went to OKC to get our wedding license a whopping two days before the wedding:

...and we headed off to Stillwater!

We had rehearsal from 5-7 at Theta Pond on the Friday before the wedding. A few folks were late and nearly gave me a heart attack ("what if they're late for the wedding?!"), but we had plenty of time to rehearse. In fact, I didn't really feel like I got enough rehearsal. It was such an important day and important to me that everything goes smoothly and neither J nor I looked stupid at any portion of the day (which is a hard task for both of us), so I felt inadequately prepared. Our reception center needed a few tweaks, but the guy we were working with was a doll and I started to trust him a little more that everything would work out.

J is really traditional, so he didn't want us to see each other at all on the day of our wedding. But we had a bit of a disagreement late Friday night, and we wanted to patch things up so that we wouldn't still feel leery when we saw each other AT THE CEREMONY on Saturday. So around 2:30 am on Saturday morning, J and I met outside the hotel on campus and took a walk around. It was so peaceful at that time, but I didn't really expect anything less. J's epiphany was that "it's our wedding day, we're on our campus, and it's just us." He said it much more profoundly than that, but I forgot because I've slept several times since then. ;) We walked alllll over campus and didn't get back to the hotel room until after 4:30 am. We were both so nervous that I don't think we missed out on much sleep, though. We sat in the chairs set up for our ceremony and walked to the reception location. We toured the engagement spot and everywhere else we could think of. It was a surreal moment to realize that, in less than 24 hours, we would be husband and wife. It seemed like we had waited so long and had a hard journey, what with all that long-distance junk. I may have transferred from OSU after one year of education there, but it still holds a very special place in my heart. It's funny what meaning a spot on the map can have for someone. I will never go to OSU without thinking about J and our life together. It's our place.

On the day of, one of my bridesmaids -- K -- saw a plastic bag in the pond right behind our sand ceremony table. She didn't want that to be in the pictures, so she found a fisherman that was willing to try to retrieve it. 

...Success! :)

K did my hair; M did my makeup. We took pictures. We sweated in the hot afternoon sun. We hugged and laughed, even though my heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest. All that was left was to walk down the aisle.

Before my dad walked me down the aisle, he asked me if I was happy. (Duh.) He told me his "three things" (1: I'm proud of you. 2: You look pretty.  3: I love you.) and we walked.


The ceremony is a bit of a blur. It was quick (just like I'd asked for), and I was so nervous! We played Vitamin String Quartet during the seating, and then the traditional bridal march for my entrance. The preacher read a few verses about "bone of my bone; flesh of my flesh." Right before he prayed, the OSU clock started chiming! It played the alma mater, and we were ready! At precisely the exact moment, our entire wedding party casually did the O-S-U hand signs and then put our hands back and stepped back into place like nothing had happened. That is one of only two reasons I wish we had videoed this day. The crowd laughed and I was able to breath a little bit again, so it was a good moment! :) 

We poured our sand to "Marry Me" by Train...have you ever tried to listen to that song without crying?! To this day, I have only successfully made it through the song TWICE without sobbing like a baby. It's so sweet and perfect and I'm glad we choose that. 



By the way, no one ever tells you how hard it is to pour sand IN SYNC with another person. You're supposed to do precisely the same amounts and make this cool design, but it's a lot harder than it looks! So we were laughing because we're so awkward and weird about stuff. Probably ruined the seriousness of the moment, but kept us from fainting. ;)

At the end of the ceremony, we walked out to "Forever" by Chris Brown, and I just felt like boogey-ing all the way down the aisle! I was so relieved that it was over, and really thought I was still going to pass out from heat exhaustion and relief. haha.

We were introduced at the reception to the Bulls Theme Song, which I thought was perfect for us (him being from Chicago and being a huge Bulls fan, and me being a basketball fan). It was a hit, along with the photobooth. The reception entrance was the other reason I wish we'd have videoed this thing. It just fit us so perfectly and was so much fun.

SO glad I booked the photobooth! I got online the day after and saw some really funny pictures. I ordered large copies of some (pretty cheap, I have to admit), but we got one half of the photobooth double-picture strip when everyone printed them. I can't wait to scrapbook those.

Our first dance was to "Everything" by Michael Buble and our last dance was to "I Wanna Grow Old With You"....from the Wedding Singer. :)



We used "How Sweet It Is [to be loved by you]" for the cake cutting:



(These last two pictures were taken from a family friend. Visit her blog here!) I used "Single Ladies" for my bouquet toss and he used "Another One Bites the Dust" for the garter toss. We had a sparkler exit to the limo as the Black Eyed Peas's "I Gotta Feeling" was playing in the background. It was my first time in a limo so I was really excited!

We were so exhausted, but had a great weekend. We stayed in Bricktown until Monday morning so we could file our marriage license and get this name-change process started. We're going to Chicago soon this summer, and his mom booked the flight in my new name, so I had to make sure it was changed quickly! Texas takes about 2-3 weeks to print a new license (?!?!), so I may just have a temporary license for the trip, but hopefully it'll be OK! I sent my passport off yesterday to be fixed, so everything is in motion. I can officially say that my last name no longer starts with an "H." :)

In case we didn't tell you, we're really thankful for everyone who helped with, came to, or supported us in the entire wedding event. We are so blessed to have so many people who care about us and want the best for us. If you fall into that category, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. <3


0 love notes: